Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Juice Pops

When I was a kid, we always had juice in the house, but rarely, if ever, had store-bought popsicles.  My mom would take the fruit juice, pour it into a cup, put a spoon in it and pop it into the freezer.  I loved these popsicles.  We eventually got popsicle molds and those were fun too. 

A few days ago, I decided to make juice pops for my girls.  I like the idea of giving them 100% fruit juice vs. the sugar loaded popsicles they were used to.  I made the popsicles in small Solo plastic cups (maybe 2oz) with new popsicles sticks as the handles, and covered with aluminum foil (which helps to keep the stick more upright).  I like that once I have given the girls a popsicle, I can simply rinse the plastic cup, fill it with more juice, put a new popsicle stick in, cover it (I reuse the same piece of aluminum foil) and pop it in the freezer for the next treat.

This was the first time that I have introduced homemade juice pops to the girls.  Ella was brave and ready to try it immediately.  Arin, on the other hand, thought that I had lost it.  She was much more leary about trying this new treat.  She whined that she wanted a different kind of popsicle, but when she finally realized it would be this popsicles or none, she gave in and tried it.  She loved it!

I have a tray of these popsicles in our freezer.  Everytime I open the freezer, Ella tries to sneak a popsicle.  It is so disappointing to her that mommy doesn't allow these popsicles anytime she wants them!

No comments: