Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stone Tic-Tac-Toe

A few months ago, I came across this really cool tic-tac-toe game.  I had planned to reproduce it for Arin.  Last week we took a walk and found several stones.  Once, we got them home, I realized that I didn't have the red, yellow and black paints that we would have needed to make a copy of their game, so we went with the more traditional x's and o's for our pieces.  We gathered 18 stones. 

First, I had Arin count out the ten stones that she wanted to use.  Next, I had her divide them into two equal piles. 


Then, she picked the colors she wanted to paint the stones.  She chose pink and green.  I had her decide which pile she wanted to be which color. I told her to paint the rocks, but didn't give her instructions on how to do this, which is why only the tops of the stones ended up painted. 



Once the paint had dried, I took a paint marker and attempted to make x's and o's on the stones.  I found that a permanent marker, such as a Sharpie, actually worked better.  I had purchased several small bags from Michael's craft store a while back.  So I took one of them today and drew the tic-tac-toe board on the front.  This bag will now serve as the playing board and also as a storage place for the stones.




1 comment:

Melissa said...

Love this! What a fantastic idea to draw the game board on the bag!