Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pregnancy Journal: Week 5

First, I want to thank everyone for their sweet comments and prayers for this baby.  They are very appreciated.
Secondly, my friend, Joli, requested that I add a pregnancy widget to my blog so that her and anyone else can follow the baby's progress.  So that has been added to the upper right-hand corner.
Third, I am going to attempt to give weekly updates (or maybe bi-weekly depending on how I feel) throughout this pregnancy. 

Photo Source: babycenter.com

I have now completed week five in the pregnancy journey.  According to Baby Center (<--- click the link to read about week 5 development), our baby is about the size of a sesame seed.  It continually amazes me how much growing and developing is happening in such a teeny tiny embryo!  I am still in the honeymoon phase of pregnancy.  We are super thrilled, but still in a bit of disbelief that I am finally pregnant again, as it's been a full year since we lost the last baby.  Pregnancy symptoms are ever so slightly beginning to appear.  I have been very crampy this week, but if memory serves me correctly, I was that way for all four previous pregnancies.  So although the cramps do make me slightly nervous, I know that it is not actually a sign that there is a problem, in fact it could just mean that the baby is embedding, which is a good thing.  I have been a bit more tired the past few days.  Other than that, all is well.  If history repeats itself, then around six weeks is when the symptoms really kick in and they stick around until I deliver the baby.  My symptoms were not super strong with my last pregnancy, so I am actually looking forward to the morning sickness this time, as it seems to signal a healthy pregnancy for me.

We told the girls about the baby last Friday.  Ella immediately said that it was a pink baby.  Pink is her favorite color.  I asked her if she thought it'd be a boy or a girl.  She said girl! 

Arin has been asking for months and months for us to have another baby.  On Friday night, we showed her the test and told her if there was two lines then there was a baby, but one line meant no baby.  She was so excited to learn there was a baby in my tummy.  I wish I would have gotten a picture of her eyes light up and the huge grin on her face.  She laid in bed with me and non-stop talked until after midnight.  She is such a planner.  She was thinking of names, thinking of toys to share with the baby, telling me how she'd help take care of it, etc.  She's so sweet and this will be such a great learning experience for her.  She is finally old enough to understand what's going on, as I've not ever seen her this excited with my other pregnancies.  She also says the baby will be a girl, but then decided a boy would be okay too, or better yet - one of each! 

On Saturday morning, Arin and Ella were eating breakfast, but I was getting ready to meet up with our families.  Arin said, "Mom, you need to feed the baby" meaning that I needed to eat.  Then, later she told me that I needed to eat healthy foods to help the baby grow.  And one other time, I was drinking some water and she told me that I was giving the baby a drink. 

We were together with most of our families on Saturday.  We let Arin share the news as she had been incredibly anxious to tell people.  (By the way, for any of our friends in GA that are reading this, Arin told me that she really wants to tell her homeschool friends in Georgia too.)

One of the things I never look forward to is finding someone to deliver our baby.  I had the same nurse midwife deliver Arin and Ella and I LOVED her.  She was awesome, but she works two hours from where we live now, so it doesn't seem practical for me to drive that far.  I found another midwife online a couple of days ago and have set up a consultation appointment to meet with her on March 1st.  Hopefully, things will go well with that and I will not have to look any farther. 

I guess that's about it for now.  I will update more next week!

2 comments:

The Pendrak's said...

LOVE the girls excitement!!

MommyWise said...

That is so exciting! How wonderful for you!