She started her Get Ready for the Code primer A.
This book starts with the letter F. We chose flowers as our theme this week.
Over a four day time period, Ella completed all of her "f" work in her workbook. She would have loved to do it all in one day, but I have to pace her or she'd be done with the book in a week!
Ella worked on flower puzzles. This is Arin's puzzle and it was Ella's first time using it.
Ella really loves worksheets, so we worked together on a few more of these. She located all the Ff on the sheet and then wrote the letters.
|I colored the picture on the left and Ella colored the picture on the right :)|
We took a field trip to our local, public gardens so that we could look at a variety of flowers. We talked about the differences and similarities of the flowers, their colors, shapes, sizes and whether or not they were fragrant.
We also started the classic science experiment, showing how water moves through the flower's stem. We did this by picking white flowers (we have gardenias growing in our yard) and putting them in water dyed with food coloring. We left the flowers overnight, and by the next morning, they were no longer white. Instead, we had a blue flower, a pink one, and a very pale purple flower.
Ella worked on a sequencing activities, which also gave her cutting and gluing practice.
She worked on a few more flower themed worksheets.
And finally, we incorporated a little math into the mix. I printed six flowers and wrote numbers 1-6 in the middle of them. Then, I gave Ella plastic linking flowers and a dice. She rolled the dice, counted the dots, linked together the correct number of flowers and placed the chain under the correctly numbered flower. Later, Ella and Arin played this together, each with their own set of numbered flowers and linking flowers. The first person to complete all six chains was the winner.