Sunday, January 9, 2011

1st Family Night

We had our first family night last night.  We've all been really sick here for the past few weeks, so we wanted to keep this first family night rather low-key.  Andy and I chose movie night as our first activity.

Arin really likes dinosaurs, so we streamed The Land Before Time on Netflix.  When this movie first came out in the theatre, my older sister took me to see it.  Before last night, that was the only time I had seen the movie (after seeing it again, I remember why I hadn't seen it more times!).

Arin stayed hidden most of the time, but once it was over she wanted to watch it again.  Silly little girl.  We kept offering to turn it off (the T-Rex was scaring her) but she wanted to leave it on.  Instead of watching it a second time, we watched Angelina Ballerina. 

As a snack, I made banana bread, which is a family favorite.

Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients

3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed (I use 4)
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar (or a little less)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (if using fresh milled flour, you may need to use a bit more)

Method

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

I had the ingredients on hand for the banana bread so this first family night was both fun and free!

Next week's theme:

No comments: