Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Unplug Your Kids: Glass

This is our first week participating in Unplug Your Kids. The topic for this week is Glass. We are given a topic and we have to come up with our own project based on that topic. I really wanted Arin to make me some painted glass coasters. However, the only glass coasters I could find were the type that you insert a picture into. So we decided to make stained glass vases instead. I chose to incorporate painting, because this is one of Arin's favorite activites. She knows all of her colors, but we have never talked about what colors you can make from mixing colors. So I decided this would be a good time to introduce that concept. I bought red, yellow, & blue stain paint. For the vases, I used clean, empty Starbucks Frappucino glass jars.

First, I gave Arin the red & blue stains and she painted the first vase with those colors. We talked about red and blue making purple.

Next, I gave her red & yellow and we talked about it making orange. However, the red was a little overwhelming, so this one didn't make the orange as well as I had hoped.


Next, I gave her blue & yellow and we talked about it making green.

She enjoyed this painting project.

5 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great glass activity i need to post mine on teaching tinytots we made stained glass windows out of tissue nad wax paper! love the idea of painted glass bottles! great job!

So Smrt said...

Combining colors is a good idea! I'll do that next time we get the paints out.

Christie said...

Very cute. Cali would like it too.

This Girl loves to Talk said...

really cute!!! i like those bottles... what paint did you use? do i just use acrylic paint?? we painted on glass and made prints on paper from it

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Welcome to the Unplugged Project!! Our project is very similar... only my boys ended up a lot more messy than Arin! :)