Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Unplug Your Kids: HOT

This week's unplugged theme is hot.
For our first project, I froze ice cubes with food coloring. I made two of each color (red, yellow, blue).
Once the ice was frozen, I had Arin put one red & one blue ice cube together in a baggy. Then one red & one yellow. Finally, one blue & one yellow.


Then, she put each baggy into a big bowl of hot water.

She swirled the baggies around and played with them a little, until the ice had melted.

Then we looked at the bags again. Now we had one bag of orange water, one of green water and one of purple water.

We bought a new router tonight and Andy had to set it all up before we could move on to our next project (because I had to get the recipe off of the internet). It is really hard to be patient when it is project time, so I drew the word HOT on a piece of paper and Arin colored it while she was waiting.

Now, I know it is not the season for Hot Cocoa, but I found a recipe online and we decided to go ahead and try it. The recipe can be found here. I cut the ingredients in fourths, because there's no way we would ever use that much cocoa. Arin had a lot of fun measuring and mixing the ingredients for the Hot Cocoa. Then she shared a cup of it with her daddy!


2 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

cool projects! looks like you guys had lots of fun! and yummy homemade hot chocolate even better!!!!

Anonymous said...

That first project is such a great way to teach color mixing. Thanks for the idea, I would never have thought of it! (My littlest would enjoy it)

Arin looks so delighted in all the photos, very cute.

Thanks for joining in!