Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Two Birds with One Stone...

This week's Reading Challenge was Guess How Much I Love You, by Sam Mcbratney. It also happens to be one of the books on our 100 Books Before Kindergarten list. So we were able to kill two birds with one stone by reading this book.

We haven't been able to make it to the library yet this week. We were planning on going for storytime last night, but we decided to go visit family instead. I was able to find the story online though. While searching for the story online, I came across lots of reviews for the book. So many people said they couldn't get through the story without tearing up. I thought that was pretty ridiculous. I read the story and no tears. Then, I read the story out loud to Arin and Ella and I did start to choke up! It was cute though while we were reading the story, I was acting it out (somewhat) and Arin was copying me.

Arin loves to color, so for our project, I printed out several coloring pages which I found here and here and here. I cut around the pictures and glued them to cardstock. Then, I punched holes in the cardstock and laced a ribbon through the holes. This held the coloring book together. Arin was very excited to see the coloring book. She wanted to color every page, but we are working on coloring more neatly, so I wanted her to take her time and make the book last at least for two sittings! Also, I put a maze and a matching game in the book. Both of which can be found in the above links.

After that, Arin made her daddy a card (also can be found in the above links). Since the book was about a little one and a daddy, I thought it was appropriate for Arin to make the card for her daddy. She colored the rabbit on the outside, and together, we traced the words on the outside of the card. Then, on the inside, I held her hand and wrote "DADDY" and "ARIN". By herself, she wrote "HOT". She wrote that because those are the only letters that she kknows how to write right now. When she was finished writing her letter to daddy, she gave him the card and then read it to him!

2 comments:

johanna said...

sooooo cute!!

Elise said...

Awwww, a toddler tear jerker.

It looks as though you had a lot of fun using this book, which was obviously a great source of inspiration for some craft activities. You also managed to make one man a very happy and proud Daddy.

Elise