Sunday, March 7, 2010

Egg Word Families


This activity was inspired by an ABC letter match activity that I found on Eager Little Mind.  She used the activity to match capital and lower case letters.  Arin is beyond that level and ready to start reading.  She has a passion for rhyming words, so I adapted the above mentioned activity for Arin.  On one half of the plastic egg, I wrote the word families ending: -at, -an, -en, -ip, -ad, -ig, -op.  Then, on the other side of the egg, I wrote the first letter of possible three letter words in that family.  Then, Arin, who knows her letter sounds, was able to turn the egg to make new words.  This helped her with sounding out words, seeing how they are spelled, and rhyming. 


She was so excited to read the words to her daddy!

This activity has been a huge hit all weekend!

7 comments:

jasnjoj said...

What a GREAT idea, Cara! I'll need to try this with my Zibing when the time comes!

Melissa said...

Love this! Thank you so much for the sweet thank you note. O loved Arin's drawing :) O's hands are the exact same size as Arin's! We haven't measured her feet yet since we've unexpectantly been out of town for a while. Oh, the barrettes are from a Martha Stewart kit...they were so easy to make and lots of fun! (I was going to send you a message with all of this on facebook, but it was acting flaky :)

Heather said...

Yeah! This is way cool...when I made these Meara wasn't reading yet and now she is. Thankfully, I have a whole bag of leftover eggs in the closet. I know what game we are playing tomorrow! Thanks for the twist on my posting and the shout out to our blog! ;-)

Phyllis said...

Do you put anything inside? My boys would be looking inside for something!:)(or is that the difference between boys and girls?)
-Phyllis

Peterson Party said...

Hey Phyllis - nope, I didn't put anything inside the eggs. Arin was happy just to twist them and read the words. Good idea though :)

Jenna said...

I love this idea and just made this for my 4 year-old. She is happily reading words as I type this! Thanks Cara.

Emily @ play talk learn said...

Thanks for sharing this idea - I'll be adding it to the roundup of ideas of how to use all the leftover plastic eggs to develop speech & language skills!
Cheers
Emily